10/4: Join Recess, PREFund and fellow new parents to discuss how estate planning can provide peace of mind and stability for your family. Patricia De Fonte, an estate planning attorney, will lead a workshop detailing why every parent needs a revocable or “living” trust for their minor children and what you can do to protect your family should the worst happen.
Meet the Expert 7/14: Infant Sleep Q & A
In our weekly New Parent Groups each week, we start out with introductions, baby's age, and sharing some of the past week's successes and challenges. Inevitably 90% of the parents in attendance share their latest sleep roadblocks. Sleep is tough for new parents! Heck, it's tough for all parents. For expecting parents thinking about coming...I can't recommend it enough. Learning how to instill healthy sleep habits while you can still absorb lots of information is super valuable.
This week, on July 14, we're thrilled to have a certified sleep consultant (and local mom) join us at our parent group. During the group, Callie Stemerman, will discuss the importance of establishing good sleep routines, a regular schedule and consistencies for healthy happy sleep habits in the first year. We will discuss any current sleep struggles that you are having and/or how to improve common sleep issues; including naptime/bedtime/ overnight sleep troubles, self‐ soothing struggles, and others. Callie will also go over many sleep tips and is happy to answer questions...so be sure to bring them!
Common topics include:
- setting realistic expectations for sleep
- sleep averages/needs/appropriate wake windows
- creating a routine/schedule
- setting up an optimal sleep environment
- transitioning out of swaddle
- feeding schedules in relation to sleep
- sleepy cues
- where should your baby sleep
- 5 S's
Callie Stemerman has been working with children and families for over 12 years.
She has a Masters Degree in Early Childhood Education from Hunter College in New York City and has worked in varied educational settings, from intimate preschools to a large corporate early education center at Google. After her first daughter was born, she hit the pause button on her teaching career to become a certified infant/toddler sleep consultant and hasn’t looked back. She feels it is very important to validate parent's feelings while working with them to develop a plan that will be successful for their individuated circumstance.
Callie prides herself on creating sleep plans that are tailored to a family’s specific needs, beliefs, parenting style, as well as their children's unique temperament, developmental phase and age. She has her own practice, Sleepless in SF, with the aim of working with Bay Area families in need of sleep guidance and support. She’s proud to work with families, face-to-face, and provide them with unwavering support while they work to improve their baby's sleep habits, routines and schedules.
The first days and months of parenthood (not to mention the nine months leading up to it all) are a crazy trip. The highest highs and the lowest lows are balanced with the most incredible snuggles and hours on end of pure awe.
As you find your way through the early days getting to know your little one, we invite you to venture out when you're ready, start to build your new parent community, find folks you connect with, and take in a little support where you need it. We're thrilled to be able to some unique offerings to new mamas and papas (yes, papas are welcome here, too!).
- New Parent Groups (Fridays at Noon)
- Free Newborn Membership - Explore the Playspace (anytime!)
- Baby Play - Playspace Activity (Mondays at 1pm)
- Bring your questions to our Drop-in, Moderated Playgroup in the Playspace. (Fridays 3:30-6pm & one Saturday a month 10-12). Are teeth emerging? How do you engage your baby through play? What can you do to support development? Sleep??! Come on in anytime during these casual groups to get information, meet other parents, and ease into a space that has your needs in mind as well as your child's.
- Arrange meet ups with parent friends. Many of us in San Francisco don't have enough room to invite a playgroup over to our homes, and the finicky weather makes planning a day in the park a bit tricky...but Recess has plenty of space to host your next gathering. Anything from a casual, "Let's meet in the playspace around 2," to a "I'm organizing a handful of families to come together for a potluck." We have an incredible amount of space and have all the accouterments needed for infants, toddlers and preschoolers to stay happy. Most importantly, this kid space is also equipped with necessities for grown ups to feel comfortable (including, but not limited to, coffee!).
- Easing back into the working world? Check out our co-working space. We offer childcare for infants 3mo+. Members can also book appointments for drop-off childcare. This is great for the occasional break, doctor's appointment, pedicure, nap...whatever you need. Let us know if you'd like to get more info!
Is there something else you'd like to see at Recess? Please...don't hesitate to let us know!